Printing Scenario Editor Maps

I have recently finished writing a program which will output a fullsize image from a Scenario Editor .m44 file.
There are a few options which will effect the output, although I have tried to keep it as simple as possible.
The program has native versions for Linux and Windows, and the Win version runs perfectly well on a Mac using Wine.
I hope that some of you will find this useful.
The program can be found in the Files section for M44 on BoardGameGeek.
Click here to access it.

4 Likes

Hey welcome! That is a great idea for anyone looking to print their own battlemaps. I’ll try it out when I decide that I need more!

Welcome to the forum @KianV!

There used to be a program like that but it was for more tech savvy people, some python script that you had to be able to use. It’s amazing that you’ve turned this into a native application! I am on MacOS, so I’ll try to use this on Mac using Wine like you mentioned. I’ll report back this weekend to let you know how it went. If you want, you can add some instructions on how to install it, screenshots, etc. and I’ll add them to your original post.

There are lots of maps that are out of print and that people want to get, so this is definitely a great contribution to our community. Thank you for that! :smiley:

Thankyou both for the welcome.

I used to use the Python program myself, but the last time I installed it I received a warning that the Python Image Library was about to drop support for Python2. This spurred me on to create my own version and to try to tidy up the output a bit.
I am also well aware that some people had problems with using it.

The program does not require any installation.Just unzip the folder.
On a Mac just direct Wine to the Windows .exe .

The graphics are downloaded as they are needed, so on the first use it can seem a bit slow, but subsequent uses will be much quicker.(I would recommend using 72dpi and checking the preview before committing to the higher resolution output as it takes longer.)
Here is a quick screenshot of it running on Linux:
M44Imprimer
It would be good to see how it looks on other systems too.

1 Like

Finally also available as a native Mac version.

1 Like

Finally! Good job Kiran!

Updated to v2.4.1 due to a bug with hedgerows being printed only on the top row.
Naturally my test files only ever had them on the top row.
(In French they are called ‘bocages’, so it never occurred to me that they would interfere with searching for ‘row’ in the .m44 file.)

2 Likes

New update to v3.
Allows creating a Breakthrough Extended format map, using a Standard map, of which only the top 6 rows are used, and a regular Breakthrough map.
Saves you having to fiddle about with your favourite graphics package.

Edit - I have created a set of icons for each OS which can be downloaded here:
www.fractalevitreuse.fr/M44Print_ProgramIcons.zip

If I have to compile them again, I will include them in the main download.

A minor little addition in v3.1
The medal tracks are now much nicer.

1 Like