Printing Scenario Editor Maps

I have recently finished writing a program which will output a fullsize image from a Scenario Editor .m44 file.
There are a few options which will effect the output, although I have tried to keep it as simple as possible.
The program has native versions for Linux and Windows, and the Win version runs perfectly well on a Mac using Wine.
I hope that some of you will find this useful.
The program can be found in the Files section for M44 on BoardGameGeek.
Click here to access it.

5 Likes

Hey welcome! That is a great idea for anyone looking to print their own battlemaps. I’ll try it out when I decide that I need more!

Welcome to the forum @KianV!

There used to be a program like that but it was for more tech savvy people, some python script that you had to be able to use. It’s amazing that you’ve turned this into a native application! I am on MacOS, so I’ll try to use this on Mac using Wine like you mentioned. I’ll report back this weekend to let you know how it went. If you want, you can add some instructions on how to install it, screenshots, etc. and I’ll add them to your original post.

There are lots of maps that are out of print and that people want to get, so this is definitely a great contribution to our community. Thank you for that! :smiley:

Thankyou both for the welcome.

I used to use the Python program myself, but the last time I installed it I received a warning that the Python Image Library was about to drop support for Python2. This spurred me on to create my own version and to try to tidy up the output a bit.
I am also well aware that some people had problems with using it.

The program does not require any installation.Just unzip the folder.
On a Mac just direct Wine to the Windows .exe .

The graphics are downloaded as they are needed, so on the first use it can seem a bit slow, but subsequent uses will be much quicker.(I would recommend using 72dpi and checking the preview before committing to the higher resolution output as it takes longer.)
Here is a quick screenshot of it running on Linux:
M44Imprimer
It would be good to see how it looks on other systems too.

2 Likes

Finally also available as a native Mac version.

1 Like

Finally! Good job Kiran!

Updated to v2.4.1 due to a bug with hedgerows being printed only on the top row.
Naturally my test files only ever had them on the top row.
(In French they are called ‘bocages’, so it never occurred to me that they would interfere with searching for ‘row’ in the .m44 file.)

2 Likes

New update to v3.
Allows creating a Breakthrough Extended format map, using a Standard map, of which only the top 6 rows are used, and a regular Breakthrough map.
Saves you having to fiddle about with your favourite graphics package.

Edit - I have created a set of icons for each OS which can be downloaded here:
www.fractalevitreuse.fr/M44Print_ProgramIcons.zip

If I have to compile them again, I will include them in the main download.

A minor little addition in v3.1
The medal tracks are now much nicer.

2 Likes

Now upgraded to v4.0 .
For those of you who would like to edit the map, it can be difficult with all the units &c. in place.
This new version allows you to exclude the terrain, producing an image with a transparent background.
Used in conjunction with the option to exclude all non-terrain, two layers can be produced which allow for separate editing.
The two images can then be combined in any half-way decent graphics program.
As a side note, the font has been changed to make it a little clearer.

2 Likes

Very since software! Exactly what I was looking for since I want to play more OverThrough games.

Do you have any tips on the best practice to print the maps?
I mean, If I want to print a BreakThrough map, thats an unusual size for home printers…

Do you suggest we find a local printer shop?

2 Likes

Thankyou.
If you want to print at home, Posterazor is a good piece of multiplatform software for splitting the image to the right size for your printer.
I am fortunate to have a very good printer nearby, but not everyone is so lucky.

2 Likes

Incidentally, I neglected to post on here about a couple of updates, and the program is now at v4,5. They correct a small problem with text on transparent layers and it is now possible to have more medals on the track when creating BTX maps. (The .m44 file must be edited manually, but this is a limitation of the Scenario Editor itself.)

3 Likes

I have just uploaded v4.6 to BGG.
Minor aesthetic changes aside, it is now possible to increase the number of medals shown on all map formats, not just BTX. I have been putting together a number of the ‘busier’ maps from ‘Scenarios From The Front’, and quite a few exceeded the normal 12 maximum - hence the update. You will still have to manually edit the .m44 file, but that is due to the Editor itself.
Another small change. Previously, when creating a BTX map, two intermediate files were created, but these are now automatically deleted.

1 Like

V5,1 is now up and allows the addition of summary cards to the map.
An overlord board has the space for 16 cards along each side, while the others have room for 8.

2 Likes

This is really great. The only thing I miss (for a graphic noob like me and useful for printing directly) is the amount of cards and who goes first.

Hi @RobWuyts .
Thanks for the compliment.
I haven’t included the number of cards or who goes first simply because my intention was always to use the printed map alongside the scenario sheet itself. There is, of course, no reason not to add the information to the map yourself.

V5.2 is now available on BGG.
For reasons I cannot recall, I did not include the ‘Action’ cards in the previous version. Naturally, I felt the need to include one of them on the first map that I created using this version, so this has now been fixed.
In the previous version, when adding cards to the map, the transparency was removed. This was most obvious on the Mac, where the whole background turned black. This has been fixed, and the transparency now appears correctly.
When extra windows are opened, they now behave in a more logical way.
The ‘Generate’ button now shows a simple progress bar.

v5.4 is now available.
The Summary Cards can be printed in 3 different sizes.
The smaller size, as previously used, allows up to 8 cards across Standard/Breakthrough and 16 across Overlord.
The second option is the same size as the real cards, allowing 7 across Standard/Breakthrough and 15 across Overlord.
The third and largest allows 7/14 for the different map sizes, and is better for those very text-heavy cards (Yes, I’m looking at you ‘Minefields’.)
Multiple lines of cards can be added - mostly useful for feature-heavy Breakthrough & BTX maps.
And there were a couple of tweaks to the interface. When changing language, the already added cards will now change language in the UI, and the large preview window can now be closed by clicking on the small preview on the main window.

Edit: By pure coincidence it is exactly 2 years since the very first version went up.

1 Like

V6.0 of M44Print is now available on BGG.
A few tweaks have been made to the UI and the aspect ratio of the preview is now correct when Summary Cards are added.
The ‘missing’ cards have also been added, although Troop 29 & 30 still remain a mystery.
Finally, multiple graphics may be added for the main background hexes (countryside, sand, snow, ocean & coastline). A simple set of the 6 rotations of the countryside hex are included which eliminate some of the monotonous look of the main board. You can add your own for the above hexes straight into the graphics folder. If you own a copy of M44Online, the tiles from that give the maps a very different look. The sea hexes add some much needed variety and personally I think the ‘Snow’ ones look amazing.