Memoir 44 website taken down

Looks like DOW/Asmo has taken down the Memoir44 forums, scenarios, and card compendium.

This really stinks.

Anyone have a source for the card compendium?

1 Like

Has there been any explanation? The whole website looks like it is undergoing a revamp, but has there been any mention of the fate of the forums? Perhaps we, collectively, could contact them and make it clear that we would still like access to the forum and especially the scenario content?

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a couple of posts on Boardgamegeek:

Evidently on September 18th DOW made an announcement that the website was being revamped and the forums would go away ā€œmid Septemberā€. Of course that announcement was only in the fourm that has since disappeared.

Great news. Iā€™m glad to hear that theyā€™ve not completely overlooked an important part of the game for many people.

2 Likes

Letā€™s wait and see what reappears.

If something are missing then I am sure that between us all we can create a resource bank.

ā€˜ā€™Improvise, adapt, overcome!ā€™ā€™

3 Likes

I backed up a lot of stuff in the last hours just in case. I pray that the Mem44 Fans vastly superior card compendium is not reliant on the Days of Blunder version. Iā€™m pretty sure that the Days of Wonder team is reliant on Asmodee resources for this all to come to pass.

2 Likes

I have rather hastily put together an online card catalogue which, while not very pretty, should at least keep them available until such time as the new M44 site is up.
The database is still there and this provides a replacement for the now disappeared frontend on DoW.
M44 card catalogue Do not use. See Below.

The previous version would not allow scrolling on mobile devices, so please use this instead.
https://tinyurl.com/3x28w8d4

2 Likes

Well done, thank you.

1 Like

This is fantastic. Thank you so much for this.

2 Likes

It is now possible to sort the cards by name rather than number. This may be useful while I work on a search function.

1 Like

I have just finished adding a search bar. You may have to perform a hard reload to see it.

1 Like

This is terrible news. I used their site all the time for notes, percentages, maps etc. Why would they get ride of all that wonderful user content and player generated maps?

2 Likes

I am just learning about this now ā€“ while itā€™s quite sad, I do believe the forums were well past their expiry point. The whole reason that lead me to create this website was because I was so into the game but the forums were archaic, not mobile friendly and filled with spam and bots.

Looking through some of the more official posts, it looks like it will come back in some capacity, likely much better than before. This doesnā€™t make up for the fact that some of the discussions could be lost, so in my view they should allow people to archive the old website and use some automated tool to download the scenarios.

Most of the work I did here bringing in scenarios and separating them out by expansion or category was all done manually but itā€™s high time that someone takes the opportunity to build a better scenario repository.

Overall, Iā€™d say Iā€™m feeling overall hopeful that we could get a better official space for discussion. In the interim period, I hope this forum is enough for most.

5 Likes

People tend to be uncomfortable with change, but I agree- it is great that the makers of the game are looking to update the website. So many board games just die out, so it is a big positive that something is being done. Potentially more people will see it and thus there will be more contributions. The website was indeed out of date, and I think there is room for improvement.

Thanks Goncalo for all you do!

4 Likes

I was literally researching scenarios the day before the site was changed. No warning on the site.

Granted, my skills at website building and design are limited; however, technically speaking, they didnā€™t have to take down the scenarios to update the site.

While I can see how maintenance of the forums could be a financial loss given the drop in posting over time, the scenario pages should have been relatively low cost.

A while back, I was part of a small team of two programmers and one engineer (moi) that ported over a far larger and complex database than what DOW had in the scenarios. We didnā€™t have to take the site offline for longer than a couple of hours to complete the build

It just seems so unnecessary what DOW did. Makes me sad.

I agree that it is good that the makers of the game are looking to update the website, and it was certainly out of date, but now it is just bloody awful!
It looks like they have allowed a web design student to have a go at it!

1 Like

So, I have decided to start sharing my MM44 scenariosā€¦

Let me know if this works:

The scenarios have returned, at least. Listed under ā€œMilitary Archivesā€.

4 Likes