I’ve been thinking about a new solo mode that I wanted to share and get opinions on.
Having had a baby recently, time to play Memoir with my wife has been slim/none. I have tried what I feel are the 2 main ways to play Memoir 44 solo:
- Play both sides to win, use a normal hand of cards for each
- The Stuka Joe method where you use a shared hand of cards for both players with several different rules for drawing and using cards
Method 1 didn’t resonate with me because I have pretty good memory and I can instantly memorize which cards the opponent has and it’s difficult to play without playing in the favor of one side.
Method 2 on the other hand fixes the card issues, but creates an entirely new problem: it feels like I’m playing the Stuka Joe game more than I’m playing Memoir. This could be down to me having issues getting it into muscle memory, but I’ve tried to come up with a solo mode (which I have not yet tried) which I’d like to discuss and see if there are any obvious flaws that people point out.
Memoir 44 Solo Mode
Split playing deck into 3 stacks, one for the green cards, one for the 2 ambush cards and one for the remaining grey cards. Check scenario rules and draw green cards up to the hand limit imposed by the scenario for both players.
How to play:
You have to play both sides to win, and on any given turn, make the appropriate action that you think could bring you closer to victory or inflict maximum damage to the opposing side.
At the start of a turn when playing one side, roll 1 die. If it’s a Star (1/6 chance), you may decide whether to draw a grey card and immediately play it or to play one of your green cards. If you get to play a grey card, you do not draw at the end of your turn.
When attacking in close combat, before rolling your own dice, roll 2 dice for the opposite side. If they rolled 2 Stars (1/36 chance), play one of the ambush cards against you and discard it. You can decide what the maximum number of Ambushes played per game (2, 4, no limit, your choice). I’d choose no limit since the chance of them occurring is slim either way.
- If you decide you want to use more grey cards, roll 1 die and use a grey card if the result is either a Star or a Grenade (1/3 chance)
- If you want Ambush to come out more frequently, roll 2 die and use Ambush if the result is either 2 Stars or 1 Star and 1 symbol matching the attacking unit.
- At the beginning of the turn, the die roll you make to see if you can use a grey card also allows you to (instead of playing a grey card) copy your opponent’s last played card, so it’s basically a Counter-Attack card
Please feel free to poke holes in my logic and tell me how to improve and build upon this solo mode. I’d very much like to have a way to play Memoir alone that I can enjoy as much as possible.