Army quiz time!

Before going through the answers, I have just finished another set. It is nice and easy, given the big knife some of them are carrying!

Yes, Airfix Ghurkas (a recently acquired set from the 70s).

So, the first photo show Polish infantry. An excellent set from HaT, which you will see painted differently for another army later!
Number 2 is Russian infantry from Airfix, painted in various colours to reflex the reality of their uniforms in WW2.
Three is indeed the Aussies - a mixture of Airfix and Revell, again a mix of uniform colours.
The Brits come next:
The infantry are a mix of Airfix, Heller, and Esci.
Then the Paras, who are also a bit of a mix.
The Desert Rats are all Airfix.
And finally Commandos, again all Airfix.

I will posting some more soon!

3 Likes

Ready to test your knowledge again?!
First up is exactly the same model set as the Polish ones from abvre, but painted for a different country. Tough…
Then a mix of armies which shouldn’t be so difficult…
Enjoy!

3 Likes

1-
2- German Army
3- German Afrika Korps
4- US Airborne?

1 Like

Good effort by Winters!
3 out of 3.
The missing one is Slovak infantry :open_mouth:
Told you it was tough!
I actually used them this weekend for the scenario ‘‘Slovak invasion of Poland (September 1939)’’
I have got a few more units to finish off over the coming weeks. Watch this space!

1 Like

Here is another tricky one for you.
Just finished painting these - and they were a pleasure to paint because of the quality of plastic and the detail.

2 Likes

I believe Italian alpini

1 Like

Welsh or Norwegian I have no idea

1 Like

Spot on JP_Pacelli
The excellent Italeri set of Italian mountain troops, or Alpini.
One of the best sets of figures I have painted - highly recommended.

1 Like

And here is the latest set for you to puzzle over.
Just finished painting these.

2 Likes

I know their box, I will wait a few days so people can think

1 Like

Every time more difficult. I surrender!

1 Like

This is free french forces

2 Likes

Indeed it is the Free French Infantry.
Unfortunately this is not the best set from Italeri - a bit of a miss-mash of uniforms and equipment, making it difficult to decide which part of the war they are from.
But, at leasgt I have some French now and will be able to make some of the scenarios a bit more accurate.

1 Like

Here is another one for you.
It is actually the same set as one I have posted previously, but what is the difference (and why)?

1 Like

It is the same figures that the ghurkas but their uniform looks like desert

1 Like

Yes, Airfix Ghurkas again!
The first difference is the quality of the moulding. The first set (in jungle colours) is a French-made set, reasonable quality. The second set is made in Asia and is unfortunately of very poor quality. You can perhaps see some of the excess plastic on the figures (called ‘flash’) - and the guy on the left looks like he is holding a banana rather than a kukri!
The Airfix painting scheme always suggests jungle scenarios, but the Ghurkas also saw a lot of action in North Africa and Italy (e.g. Monte Cassino). Therefore I have gone for the Mediterranean paint scheme. This also makes the shorts more suitable - shorts were not really used in jungle combat (bites, stings, cuts).

Just finished a big set of … you tell me! (Actually, should be quite straightforward this one.)
Two different paint schemes, as suggested on the box.

2 Likes

I feel like some of the 82nd airborne had mohawks. idk tho

And I want to ask how did it end up all the way down here?

I guess you hit ‘reply’ down here rather than up next to the picture.