Playing remotely

Hi there,

New to the game. My brother and I have been playing games over webcam using conferencing software. This approach works best when each player has their own decks / cards, as shared deck mechanics are the hardest thing to deal with when playing this way (without an online ‘deck’). Would it be reasonable to each use a separate deck to draw from when playing, or would doing this upset the balance of the game?

Thanks,
D

3 Likes

I’ve done it, and it worked fine. I don’t think it particularly affected the overall game to have potential duplication of the same card being played, but we don’t play especially strictly. If you were really concerned, you could print off a list of the cards and mark them as being used as you play, but I don’t see much benefit and having that information to hand might even unbalance the game.

1 Like

Why aren’t you using online software and playing?

or Vassal

1 Like

It would change the balance, but in Overlord (IIRC) there are two separate decks, so there are formats that allow for it. Maybe just play two out of three of a given scenario to adjust a bit for the different probability in card distribution?
Anyway, if you’re enjoying the game as a challenging experience, that’s the main thing.

3 Likes

I work on the computer all day. Board games are an escape from the screen. I used to play a lot of video and computer games, but I have found great relief in doing something different. Of course, in-person games are always better, but sometimes it’s not practical to do that. Playing remotely still uses the computer, but the time looking at the screen is fairly small. Incidentally, we used a system of numbered hexes and described the movements verbally.

4 Likes