New player saying hello 👋🏼

Hi all,

I’m new to M’44. I’m yet to even play my first game but I do have a copy now after researching the last few weeks or so.

I found this new site and I’m very impressed. Well done to the creator. To everyone else I hope to read and share M’44 with you all in the future.

Jason

3 Likes

Greetings. I just joined. The forum looks promising.

1 Like

Welcome @KAMIKAZE and @Philip!

I’m a new Memoir '44 player myself (only been playing for a couple of months) and I decided to put my computer science background to good use and make a better online space for the players. Your kind words mean very much to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I’m also a new player (actually only played once), but the game seems very cool and with lots of different scenarios and options for playing. This forum is looking great and looks better than others I’ve seen!

Welcome aboard! :smiley:
Very happy to hear that you both like it! I’ll keep adding content, still lots of stuff to put here :slight_smile:

Actually, yes, we allow Google and others to crawl and index the pages, but that process takes some time. Supposedly it takes some weeks to index all our content and rank us high enough in the results. I hope we get there soon!

1 Like

I played my first game of Memoir yesterday. I played with my 8yr old Son who took to it very well. He wasn’t that enthused to begin with but entertained his Dad, for all his nagging.

We played Pegasus Bridge, taking turns to play each side and we had an absolute blast. It felt like we played everything correctly. It didn’t take long to setup or play, even being novices and needing to explain rules.

After the game, I began to show my Son all the available content out there that we could add if we continued to play and enjoy it. He immediately jumped on Overlord and began to suggest teams right away haha

I have a friend over Tuesday evening who I’m sure will enjoy this just as much as me so I’m just thrilled to have found a new game I can play and enjoy. Especially, one that seems perfectly suited for some quality Father, Son time.

1 Like

Wow, what a great story. Instead of one new player we might get some more young generals :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to Overlord, but taking my time with the base scenarios. They are still great fun!

1 Like

Hi all, new to the list.

I first got Memoir in 2013 when I brought it as a substitute game for a Kickstarter that was due that year but was very late (Heroes of Normandie). I played it a bit then but have really got back into it over the last several months.

My main opponent is my 9 year old son who is an expert General now! Memoir has fired up his interest in WW2 which is great as I have been interested in it since I was his age in the 1970s!

We have at least a couple of games a week and totally love the game.

Look forward to posting stuff.

Bazza

2 Likes

Another great story of a future young general! :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum Barry!

check out the Vassal Mod. It is outstanding

Hello and welcome one and all.
I an old Memoir '44 aficionado and have been active since 2007. I am fortunate to have purchased the expansions piece by piece as they were offered. It is a super game and I am encouraged to see all these new players enjoying the action.

Also a great advocate of Vassal play for those looking for opponents. In fact, I cut my teeth playing Memoir '44 on Vassal before Days of Wonder created their online version of the game.

Hello all, I am calling you from Germany. I like Memoir '44 and play it in different ways: face to face, Online and Vassal.

Welcome to the Forum @mzungu and @bazooka66! It looks like you are both veteran players :slight_smile:

I only started playing last year so I was late to get a few of the expansions, but I love the community aspect of the game! I only became aware of the Vassal mod a couple of months ago and I have yet to give it a try. I currently would like to have more time (and company) to play, and I think I might give Vassal a try in the upcoming weeks.

Do you guys have any favourite expansions or campaigns? Do you enjoy playing any particular format (e.g. Overlord, Breakthrough)? Curious to hear what you guys still enjoy after playing the game for so long!

New player here too. Got the base game for Christmas and now play with my 16 y/o son and 10 y/o daughter. We all love it! I’ve been researching the expansion packs and crying over the asking prices. Hoping DOW reprints some of these soon.
Cheers!

1 Like

To answer your question goncalo I think what I like most about the game is the community aspect of it. I have been fortunate to travel and play with many international players and have developed friendship and common interests. Also there is no lack of content to play. Even if you are unable to purchase and own many of the expansions, if you use the Vassal software you can access more content from all the expansions. I am currently playing on Vassal and using the New Flight Plan with a friend from Belgium. We have been consistently playing through all of the Memoir’44 content that comes out. I think comrades in the game is the best aspect of Memoir’44.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum Scott! Glad to hear you are playing with newer generations! There’s a big community enthusiasm about collecting all the expansions, but if you look online (or here) for scenarios you will see that you can get a lot of mileage out of your base game. Invest only in the game formats that you want to try out.

The prices on older, out of print expansions shouldn’t scare you away. The ones that have the most replay value (the army packs, overlord, and the base game) are reprinted periodically. We’re now due for a reprint of the Pacific Theater :slight_smile:

In the meantime you can get Mediterranean Theater, Winter Desert boards, Terrain Pack, Eastern Front and Winter Wars on Amazon (if you’re in Europe). But make sure to go through every scenario first and to play on both sides!

This is great. I’m curious, is there any particular front that you’d say you come back to often? Have you reached a point where you have to revisit scenarios because you’ve played most or all of them? I know there are hundreds of them, but I also know that some people have been playing since 2004… :slight_smile:

Because there is so much content, I find that just working through all the games that come with each expansion usually takes some time. My friend and I always play both sides and sometimes set up mini-campaigns within a group of scenarios to make our competition more interesting. We have never lacked for something to play.
As far as personal preference, I tend to like the Pacific Theater and Normandy section of the Western front. I think this is because it is the area that I am most knowledgeable about, but also because I have known former veterans who fought in these areas and I try to imagine their personal experience when I play.

As an aside: I have played over 4000+ games on Memoir '44 Online. So in this instance, there are many scenarios that I have played scores of time as repeated content.

Also, I cut my teeth on Memoir '44 on the Vassal platform and still prefer it as the next best thing to Face to Face.

1 Like

Thank you for your welcome. I’m in the States but recently purchased the winter/desert board, the Eastern Front and the Mediterranean expansions. Paid too much but all were new and unopened. This will give us plenty to do. I will wait for a reprint of the Pacific and the Terrain Pack.
Scott

1 Like