Minefield tokens separated by expansion

If you are like me then you might have already bought multiple expansions that include minefield tokens, like Eastern Front, Mediterranean Theater or the Terrain Pack. In a quest to downsize the volume of my Memoir '44 collection, I’ve bundled up every minefield token into a little plastic bag, but this causes some issues.

For example, by bundling the tokens from the Terrain Pack, Mediterranean Theater and Winter Wars, you get 9 minefield tokens with the value of 0, which in the game means that they are decoys and can be removed after their value is discovered. If you were to set up a scenario from a particular theater of war which uses, for example, 8 minefield tokens, it would be possible to draw from the group pile in a way that all of the mines would be decoys – this is not only historically inaccurate, but it would create unbalanced sides and possibly ruin your game. To keep this from happening, here is a list of the values according to each expansion, as pictured in Anton Nieuwkoop’s collection:

Minefield Tokens by Expansion

Standard Expansions

Expansion Token Values
Eastern Front 0, 1, 2, 2, 4
Mediterranean Theater 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4
Pacific Theater 0, 1, 1, 2, 4
Terrain Pack 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4
Winter Wars 0, 0, 0, 1, 2

Battle Map Series

Expansion Token Values
Through Jungle and Desert 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4
6 Likes

Thanks, I think I’ll add a note in my mines bag haha

1 Like

The worst beating I caught was in Hellfire Pass where I lost without scoring a single hit, and I have the feeling it might have been because of this! The same way you can draw only zeros, you can draw all or most of the high value minefield tokens, and then it’s just a blood bath. Rolling a 4 for mines with infantry is really not fun :sweat_smile:

I hope I can at least prevent others from doing the same mistake :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is really useful, as I’ve made the same mistake organizing my mine tokens.

3 Likes

Same here. :sweat: It’s a pain to sort them back.

1 Like