HBG miniatures as a proxy for Equipment pack?

Hello. I’m resisting the urge to but the equipment pack. I already have a nice collection of appropriately sized infantry from various resources that represent SWAs and special units. Now, I’m looking to Armor, and in particular I would like some Tiger and Tank destroyer units. I’ve seen HGB has various things that are intended for Axis and Allies. The basic A&A set armor is much smaller than that of the Memoir units, so especially no good for Tigers, which should be bigger. Has anyone used them before, and if so, how is the scale? With that worry aside, it looks like a good option.

1 Like

I’ve run into a lot of posts that were not very positive on the equipment pack, but that was when it was out of print and going for more money. I’ve heard complaints about the miniature quality, etc…

On the subject of Tiger tanks the earlier Battle Maps are back in print and one of those has six of the tiger tanks (equipment pack only three). A lot of the miniatures in the equipment pack are available in the Battle Maps. All information if your trying to cobble something together that might be better, but here in USA Equipment pack is on sale for a very low price right now at Boardlandia. I was considering another approach, but it was just too easy to succumb to the Equipment pack.

Let me know if you need pictures or anything (close ups) from equipment pack if that will help you judge versus other figures.

2 Likes

I found that the Cavalry, French Infantry, Finnish Ski Troops, Tigers, Halftracks, Supply Trucks, Tank Destroyers, Hobart’s Funnies, etc were nice additions to the collection I already had.

I did find that those figures for which I already had card stock badges:
Mortars, anti-tank guns, machine guns, landing craft, mobile artillery, Italian artillery, long range guns, were just sort of clunky and a poor design and lastly non-essential. The cardboard badges are easier to use and more attractive on the board.

So about 50% of the Equipment Pack was worthwhile.

3 Likes

That’s very interesting. I’ve been looking at the list of scenarios and considering how many actually use the ski troops etc, it is relatively few. I also am a little disappointed about the commonly-used miniatures in the equipment pack, but I dislike picking up the cardboard tokens, I think it is easier to have something that can be easily picked up when playing. When I weigh up what I would actually be using, I can’t justify the cost of the equipment pack and the cost of delivery to where I live (which is usually more than the cost of the actual item).

1 Like

I have to say I am tempted, but the cost of delivery is the killer for me. It seems to make sense to get it piecemeal and put together objects that I actually like rather than the bland offerings in the EP.
I’be got two of the battle maps but they don’t get much use in my current setup. It might prove to be a more cost-effective approach though. Thanks.

1 Like

I wonder about 3D printing. Given your shipping situation maybe that is a good investment and it seems like I saw upgraded miniatures around so a very interesting area, one that I’m ignoring.

I have to say my first full game was full game was the overlord version of Moyland Wood and despite having two base games, not near enough badges. :upside_down_face: Probably have them in my map packs haha, but it seems you can’t have it all with Memoir 44.

My friend did like my complete set of laminated terrain cards, so I’m fine with that debacle continuing. Nice to have one copy for each player.

1 Like

Do you mean print them for myself or use a company to do it? I’m a bit of a luddite, I’m not really sure how it works.
I have a set of cheap differently-coloured poker chips than could be a stand in for missing badges. Just put one badge to the side next to a particular colour, and then use that same color on the board itself.

I know no little as I’ve only bought 3D printings from vendors. Here is free tiger tank:

So the idea is you get 3D printer for long term use and then print upgraded miniatures for Memoir 44. Not sure what is out there, but some people even go in for 3D terrain. Even if you don’t want to paint them you could control filament color to match them up. This is a deluxe approach, but in your case where shipping is extreme it might be a great way to go. I’m not sure, but perhaps they’re are printing businesses in Japan that would do them for you.

2 Likes