Beach Landings Combat Cards

4 Out of ammo

5 Pull back

6 Reinforcement

7 Reposition

Unlike other Combat Card sets, this is for defenders only.

Unlike other sets, Reinforcements here is only for defenders.

8 Infiltrators

9 Return to duty

10 Not a step back

11 Sand in the engine

12 Armour bulldozer

13 Improved gunnery sighting

14 Amphibious assault

15 Pinned down

What does that mean? Who is a “defender”? Its played on your own turn, soooo…?

Additionally, what is the “Pound Sand” tactic? Assuming there is one…

1 Like

You are the defender when your opponent moves/attacks.
So, let’s say I am playing against you, and it is my turn to move. I play a card and move a unit, but then you (as the defender) can play this combat card (15 Pinned down) to stop me and send my unit back to where it started.
There are a number of Combat Cards like this where the defender can stop or effect the attackers move. Examples are Out of Ammo, Out of Fuel, and Sand in the Engine (11, above).
I think ‘pound sand’ refers to the fact that these are Beach Landing cards. However, like many of them, it can also be used in all other scenarios, not just on the beach.

It looks like “Pound Sand” is comparable to and placed where (for example) Bitter Opposition is on the Winter Wars cards. I assumed that would indicate an ability. Also, not all the cards have it…

Thank you for responding.

1 Like

Annnnnd, 6 Reinforcements says play it at the end of your turn, but it says “Defender Only”…?

1 Like

Yes, that is a bit confusing.
It says ‘‘at the end of turn before drawing a new command card’’, so it is clearly after the ‘defender’ has played.
I would interpret that in two ways:

1. The ‘defender’ did not attack anything on their turn - just moved or played a card like Dig In, or Medics and Mechanics;
  2. There are many scenarios where one player is clealy the ‘defender’ - e.g. Normandy beach landings, where the German is the defender.
    One thing you could do before playing a scenario is to clarify who the defender is. If it is not clear who it is then do not use the Defender Only ot Attacker Only cards.

Maybe ‘‘Pound Sand’’ means that those cards are only for beach scenarios?
Not a Step Back, Pull Back, Out of Ammo, and Ambuscade also appear in other sets.
Or maybe they just forgot to put it on those ones!